Music usually plays a big part in a funeral service. It can be used for reflection, laying tributes or symbols, entering or exiting the funeral venue. Choosing fitting farewell songs is often a really difficult task.
Maddie is always on the lookout for new options by way of funeral music. Here, she has come up with her list of the top 10 songs to be played at a loved one’s funeral. In no particular order…
1. For a Mum or Grandmother – Supermarket Flowers, Ed Sheeran
2. For a nature lover (or a lover of Lord of the Rings) – Into the West, Annie Lennox
3. For the young gun – See You Again, Wiz Khalifa
4. For the positive soul – Over the Rainbow, Israel Kamakawiwoʻole
5. For a mix of old and new – Perfect, Ed Sheeran (with Andrea Bocelli)
6. For the lover of classical music – Ave Maria, Schubert
7. For the cultural, consider a mainstream song in the relevant language – Whakaaria Mai (How Great Thou Art), Prince Tui Teka
8. For those needing comforting words – Angel, Sarah McLachlan
9. An oldie but a goodie – I’ll Be Seeing You, Bing Crosby
10. For anyone – Fields of Gold, Eva Cassidy
We would love to hear from you! What music would you like to be played at your funeral? Are there any common ones that you would want avoided at all costs? Comment on our Facebook page so we can add some more options to our library.